Tuesday, September 21, 2010

United Way Golf Tournament

Seven years ago, not long after coming on full-time at ConocoPhillips, Randy was approached by a friend, Sid Bassett, (who was also influential in getting Randy into ConocoPhillips) to head up the United Way Golf Tournament. Sid was too busy and he knew Randy was a golfer and could do a great job. Little did he know that he was giving Randy his favorite project to date. This tournament became Randy's "baby". Seven years ago, the tournament was one afternoon, and raised $7,000. Last year, he turned it into a 2 1/2 day tournament and raised $105,000. Each year I have been blown away with the increase of people, money and respect he is given with the work he does. However, it was also told to us last year that this year would be Randy's last year to head up the event. The company would like people to know Randy by other things than the golf tournament. It was bittersweet, but we understand that he has so much more to offer and can create greatness wherever he focuses his talents.

I have only heard second-hand at how great his tournaments are, but this being his final year, I decided to take a look at it myself! Ashton and I came up two different days to have lunch with Randy and hang out at the golf course. The first day he was playing a couple rounds with a group so he told us to hang out up by the club house and he would be pulling up in a red cart. I wasn't sure what kind of cart he was in since I knew the course only had white carts. I was thinking maybe an old beverage cart or something. I knew they were low on golf carts so I figured he would just take whatever they had that worked since he needed something to ride around in to oversee everything. But I guess they brought in a cart just for Randy! Super cute! I wanted to take it home with us so bad! Our neighbor actually has a golf cart and rides it around sometimes and will even take our kids around the neighborhood on it. Anyway, I just had to take a picture of it!

Ashton and I did a lot of hanging around. She got pretty comfortable out there! And of course she was the talk of the tournament- everyone thought she was so cute! Her favorite thing to do was swing on the swings under the trees and play games on my phone. The weather was beautiful! The past two years we were supposed to have gotten rain every day of the tournament. The kids and I have truly learned the meaning of faith as we have prayed so hard for the rain to not stop daddy's tournament. Last year it rained in all the surrounding towns except Bartlesville, and as they were packing up the last day it started pouring. This year it rained as they set up, and one evening we had a major thunderstorm, but the days were sunny! My faith has truly been strengthened and I tried to use it as a teaching tool for my children as well. But back to the tournament, not alot of people knew who I was so I overheard a lot of conversations. Everyone was saying how amazed they were and how it was the best tournament they had ever been to. It was great to hear all the positive feedback. Those who I was introduced to told me first-hand how great Randy is at this and how he should make it his profession. I'm very proud of my husband.

So Randy's seventh and final year of heading up the golf tournament is now over... without a hitch! It takes a lot out of him. It's basically a week of set-up, golfing, receptions, banquets and us not seeing him (with the exception of Ashton and I who got to go up to the golf course) and then a weekend for him to recover from lack of sleep and heat exhaustion. This year he expanded, yet again, the tournament (as it sells out before opening up to the public!) This year it was three full days and they raised $160,000!! Quite a run, my dear! I have loved watching you create this prestigious event. It has become the talk of the town and I'm so proud of you! I know you can achieve anything and I will always be right there supporting and rooting you on! Love you so much!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Springers said...

Another great tournament! I didn't know this would be his last year, that's too bad. Glad it went so well to finish it out!

vaclaw family said...

Wow! That is so awesome, way to go!