Thursday, August 27, 2009

Avery's Dutch 4x4 Tournament

 
Soccer season hasn't quite started yet, but a couple weekends ago our city held a Dutch 4x4 tournament for the under 9 and under 10 soccer teams. Avery was interested and we figured it was a good way to get in some excercise and also get excited for soccer season.
 
In this tournament, all the boys and girls play together which I thought was great. I knew Avery wouldn't be intimidated because she plays soccer with the boys at recess sometimes. Plus I figured it would help her be more aggressive. I used to play on a boys soccer team growing up so I was excited to see her play against the boys... she did very well! We had parents coming up to us really impressed with her.
 
You received points when your team scored goals and if you were on the winning team at the end of the game. There were five, 12-minute games all on miniature fields. After each game you ran back to the tent to see where you were playing next and what color you would be. We had brought so much stuff with us for the other kids to do that it was like we were packing up each time we moved! Luckily our last 3 games were all on the same field. In one of the games, Avery got slammed in the face with the ball. Seriously, it was bad! But she hung in there... even through the tears. She's so tough! She actually had a headache for the next couple of days.
 
After all the games were over, they tallied up all the points and Avery came in first place for the girls under 9! I couldn't believe it! She played good but she was also on some really good teams. She won a $5 giftcard to Blockbuster. All in all, it was a fun Saturday and got us all pumped for the upcoming soccer season!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Arkansas Vaclaw's said...

Yay Avery!! She looks like such a tough cookie in that first pic!! I love the expression she has!

Bobbie Murphy said...

i think avery could beat me up (ryan). stop looking at me like that avery, i'm getting scared! stop! mommyyyyyyyyyyy!