My grandmother meant the world to me. She was right there, along with my parents, routing me on with everything I ever did. I was always so happy that I had strawberry blond hair when I was a baby because with that and the middle name of Kathleen, my grandma gave me the nickname of her "Irish girl" and I always treasured that. I always wanted to make her happy. She was a very clean person... even though she loved her knickknacks! So anytime I knew she was coming over I always made sure my room was clean so she would be pleased with me. Her family came first along with her love for God and her country. And she made everyone feel loved and accepted who joined the family... especially her great-grand kids! She always made holidays special for each of them. Individual cards (no one loved giving cards like my grandmother) and then either holiday window stickers or holiday socks or jewelry or something to know she was thinking of them. She went from attending all her grand children's events to attending all her great-grandchildrens events. I had such a hard attending the first soccer game after she had past... knowing that I would never be looking across the parking lot again for her and her little walker with my mom right next to her. I would always spot them and then send one of the kids over to let them know exactly where we were. She was such a sports fan! I think that's where I get it.
Right when I got back from Florida, I began helping my mom with all the funeral arrangements. Amy and all of her family came and helped with the program. Joe and Lindsay were not far behind... but their journey was much longer than our short flight from Florida. They drove the 24 hour trip! I was so glad they did though- it meant so much! We had a good time sharing memories with each other. Here we are all sitting around my table folding the programs.
We put together a nice little table of pictures- my grandma was always taking pictures! Her camera sat right next to her and her rocking chair so she could grab it at any moment! And we included some of her treasured knickknacks that she would have loved too.
We all took turns taking pictures of our families in front of her table. Here is our picture.
My grandma was a Wednesday Cook at her church for years and years and loved doing this and loved the ladies she worked with. This time, the cooks made a meal for our family. The pastor said how happy they were to do this for Margie's family, and how her service as a Wednesday Cook had gone full circle. It looks like the beautiful ladies have an all-girls table.
Which must mean this is the guys table! Kyson, Austin and Randy enjoying their lunch.
And here is my mom with my grandmothers sister, Iris June Winget-Brown. There were six children in my grandmothers family, and Auntie June was the youngest and is now the last sibling alive.
The service was beautiful. As I mentioned before, the past summer was such a struggle for my gram. Sometimes I would sing to her to help calm her down. She mentioned to me at least 3 different times that she wanted me and my sisters to sing at her funeral. She loved the song we sing at our church called Love At Home, and that's the one she wanted us to sing. I told her I would try... but when the time came it just wasn't something I or my sisters were strong enough to do. Instead, our children took our place and sang. They did so great! Ashton actually started if off all by herself... we were so proud of her and I know my grandma was beaming down on all of her great grandchildren.
My cousins were also all able to come back to town and helped serve as pall bearers. My brother Jordan was in Singapore so Austin stood in for him. The pall bearers were my brother in law Todd, Randy, Austin, my nephew Kyson, my brother Joe and then my cousins Charles, Frank and Vincent.
The pastor had a few more words to say at the graveside and then allowed anyone to say a memory they had. Sara took this opportunity to read a poem that she wrote about our grandma. It was so great and really pinpointed so much of our grandma. Afterwards, Joe was able to dedicate the grave.
My mom had picked daisies from by grandmothers backyard... her pride and joy and sanctuary! She loved gardening and put so much time and love into her back yard. It seemed very fitting to have these flowers bloom just in time for her service.
Everyone grabbed a daisy and was able to put it up on the casket and say their last good bye.
And of course our children didn't forget to give some respect to their Great Uncle Arthur, my mom's brother who passed away in 1995. They are together in the ground and together in heaven now.
My grandmother actually had almost everything picked out and paid for with the funeral which was such a blessing to us! The grandchildren enjoyed that there were two limos and were especially happy to be able to ride it back to the church after the graveside memorial. We love you forever Gram/Gum-Gum! We know you will be with us helping us along the way until we can see you again!



No comments:
Post a Comment