Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Buddy Ole' Pal

My sisters' family have a horse named Buddy. They rent some space on a farm not too far from their house, so we were able to visit Buddy quite a few times during our Thanksgiving break. We all piled into Todd's truck and headed there this day. I think we counted twelve of us! Addie was first to jump out with a carrot to feed him. She very possibly could be teasing him right here. I think she liked the fact that he was behind a gate here because...
Uncle Todd brought him out of the stable to get some good green grass. The kids were up taking a picture on the back of the truck and Buddy thought he was needed in the picture. Addie wasn't so sure about him being so close!So she moved... and then we got a smile out of her! Buddy is such a great horse. It's amazing to me how interactive he is! I'm not around many horses, but when he hears Todd's truck he meets him at one end of the fence, then Todd will race him to the other end of the fence. He's like a big dog!Remember when my mom was shocked at Ashton's fearless attitude on the lawnmower? Well, she was the same way with Buddy.She walked right over to him to pet him. Of course the closer she got the more she realized just how big he was. I think he's head is as big as her whole body! Amy stayed close to make sure she was alright. After I took this picture Buddy raised his head up right at Ashton's face and she was so shocked, but she never screamed or anything.However she did want some help to pet him after that!
Austin also loved Buddy. He wanted Buddy to eat grass from his hand. It's just surprising to me how fearless they are because we are never around horses, and I'm not like that! I'm very cautious around horses!Austin thought it was cool that Uncle Todd laid the oats on the back of the truck and Buddy just ate them right off the truck.
Avery is a little more like me, she looks a little more cautious... but there is more to her story! Stay tuned...

Buddy shared a stable with an old, old horse named Bridget. Poor Bridget, she is on her last leg. But it's good that Buddy has a friend with him.Like I said, Addie likes the horses behind the fence. So she started taking carrots over to Bridget.Ashton also feed Bridget a carrot. The kids disappeared for a while, and I guess they were playing down in the creek.They had moss all over their legs... gross! But that's what you get in the country and they were having tons of fun! It looks like Addie is playing follow the leader with Kimball here.
Avery walked in the creek too, but luckily she was wearing shorts! It was a fun day! We went straight home and took baths afterward!

No comments: