For starters, I don't like to run. I think all my kids take after me. Actually, Randy has said that he doesn't like to run either so they must take after both of us. But he and I have been getting up Mon-Sat and running different routes around our neighborhood, anywhere from 4 to 6 miles. Now, when I say we go run, I mean we run and fast walk. It takes us about an hour, depending on which route we take, but it keeps us out longer and it's not so hard on our joints. Yes, we are getting old!! It also makes it more enjoyable to not run the whole time and a little easier to talk to each other! Now, up until today I had never ran more than 1 mile at a time. But Randy was helping with this new 5K in town supporting the United Way and I wanted to support him. We all did!! They had a fun run before the 5K that we signed the kids up for. It was an early, cold Saturday morning, and at this point the kids were second guessing their decision!
See how cold they look?!? They were cold AND nervous... just like me! Avery had a soccer game so she didn't get to, or "have to" as the other three would say!
The nerves were gone after their race, and it was fun to have a cheering section for when Randy and I ran by! My mom was also there to stay with them and cheer us on. Here is Ashton and her buddy Kate Hubbard after their fun run. They did great and were much happier when they were done. I think it woke them up!
Megan is a runner and has run in many big races, but since she is in her last trimester of pregnancy she did the fun run with the kids. I was so glad she ran with them because my kids were so nervous! And if I was pregnant I wouldn't have ran at all!! She's such a trooper! Kyle ran in the 5K with us.
At first Randy said that he was going to stay with me. Not long after you start there is a big hill you have to run up... halfway up I was going to tell him to go ahead but he was already gone! I was ok with him leaving me, I wanted him to do his best. I wanted to do my best as well and I wanted him to be proud of me but I was having a harder time. I couldn't tell if I was out of breath already because of this hill or because I was so nervous!! I had never run around so many people before! But I told myself I was going to keep running. My goal was to not stop running. And I made it!! Randy did awesome, I was so proud of him! He even got a medal!! It was our first 5K ever and he got 3rd place in his age group!
And to my complete surprise, I got 2nd place in my age group! I was just happy I kept running the whole time! Everyone says after you run a 5K you can't stop. You get addicted. Well, I didn't get that feeling! I still don't like to run but I do LOVE going out and running/fast walking with my husband! That's something I look forward to almost everyday! Emphasis on almost!! It's still not easy getting up early!
Our first 5K, and we both placed. What are we going to do next?! We're going to Disney World!!






No comments:
Post a Comment