
Tuesday was Randy's one day that he didn't have anything going on until late afternoon. We wanted to get started early on our day, so we took the shuttle to Washington DC and were dropped off at the Old Post Office. Randy is on the phone with his sister, Jolene. Jo and her family live in Newark, DE so she and Trevor (her youngest) drove over to meet up with us.

The Old Post Office has a beautiful granite clock tower that you can go to the top of and see a 360 degree view of downtown Washington, DC. We didn't make it inside but that is one thing I want to do if we ever get back.

And in front is a cool statue of Benjamin Franklin, so of course I had to take a picture! But like I said, Jolene came and picked us up and drove us over to Arlington National Cemetery.

Randy wasn't so sure about spending a day in a cemetery, but Jolene kept assuring him that it was really cool. It didn't take long for him to be very glad that we went. This is one thing you need to experience for yourself. Luckily for us, it was a beautiful fall day!

We began at the visitors center and walked a mile uphill to the tomb of the unknown soldier.

The atmosphere is very peaceful and respectful. At first you are in awe of how straight and uniformed the headstones are, no matter what direction you look. And then you start thinking of how each one represents an actually human being who died for your freedom.

I was born in a patriotic family, and I have always been grateful and even a little emotional when I think of how blessed I am to be part of this great country. But this experience was really touching and I am even more grateful to all those who have given their lives for my freedom.
No comments:
Post a Comment