Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gaylord National Hotel & Convention Center on the Potomac in Maryland

This past week I tagged along on Randy's business trip. He was going to a convention in Washington DC and I just couldn't let this opportunity pass me by! I've always wanted to go to DC and visit the historical sites that I've only seen in books or television. I knew Randy's days were packed, so I wasn't sure exactly what I would be able to do or how comfortable I would be going around by myself... but it was worth a shot! Our hotel was spectacular! We stayed at the Gaylord National Hotel & Convention Center On the Potomac in Maryland. As you can tell from the lobby, they have already started getting ready for Christmas.The trees in the lobby were spectacular, as you can see in this picture. I wished our whole family was there so we could get family pictures taken. The hotel was a vacation in itself. I knew if I didn't go anywhere- I would still be happy I came!As soon as we opened the door to our room, we could hear piano music and the crackling of a fire. I walked in a little further and realized it was a channel on the television. Cheesy to some, but I thought it was sweet and cozy. I couldn't wait to lay in bed and read my book I had brought!And speaking of bed, Randy laughed when we got in the room to find two queen-size beds. He said they must have made a mistake because he asked for a king. You know how you can tell you have been married for 11 years? You don't go back to the lobby and ask for a king! We actually enjoyed spreading out with pillows all around. I think I've told Randy every night since we got back that I miss my bed at the Gaylord! :)
When I said that our hotel was a vacation in itself, this is kindof what I meant. You can't truly understand what I mean by a picture but it was awesome. Stores, restaurants, spas, huge gym and pool with a lifeguard. This was the view of the middle of the hotel from our balcony. Every night there was a piano player down in the lobby and after a big watershow. We left our balcony door open all the time to make sure we didn't miss out on anything. And if you look past the windows you'll see the amazing view of the Potomac. When you cross that bridge, you are in Virginia. We arrived on Sunday and took a look around the hotel... and of course got a great nap in! Monday I slept in, worked out, showered, read on the balcony, napped to the "fireplace" and piano music, read some more and then went to dinner with Randy. It was the most peaceful and relaxing day!




No comments: